PlayGround uses cookies to give you the best browsing experience. If you continue browsing we understand that you accept our cookies policy.

Artículo Controversy in Russia after a 10-year-old is arrested for reciting poetry in the street Videos


Controversy in Russia after a 10-year-old is arrested for reciting poetry in the street



Playground Traduccion

31 Mayo 2017 11:10

One Russian journalist hailed the boy as a 'hero' and a 'prince of the street'

Three police officers. It took three police officers to detain a 10-year-old boy accused of begging – an illegal activity in Russia.

The boy's father, Ilya Skavronski, told RFE/RL’s Russian Service that his son has a speech defect and that 'his therapist advised him to recite poetry publicly' as part of his treatment.

It wasn't the first time that Oscar Mironov had turned the paving stones of Moscow into his stage. A few weeks ago, a journalist from the Moskovskij Komsomolets newspaper paid tribute to the boy by posting a video of him reciting Shakespeare's famous 'To be or not to be' soliloquy in the centre of Moscow.

The journalist, Alexandre Minkine, called Minorov a 'prince of the street' and 'hero'.

Unfortunately, little Mironov has now hit the headlines due to his violent treatment by police officers rather than his performance skills. The footage of his arrest – filmed by his stepmother whose attempts to reason with the officers were aggressively rebuffed – has raised fresh questions about human rights violations in Russia.

If the police had given the boy a warning, that might have been understandable: at the end of the day, the police's job is to enforce the law, regardless of whether that law is fair. But to have acted so aggressively, and to have insisted on dragging the boy to the police station, despite his stepmother being present, seems excessively brutish.

Ilya Skavronski said his wife had her clothes ripped and her tablet broken while struggling with the police. She could face 15 days on misdemeanor charges for resisting the police. Ivan was eventually released and handed over to his father after spending four hours at the police station.

(Via RadioLiberty)